Oleum or fuming sulfuric acid, is a solution of various compositions of sulfur trioxide in sulfuric acid, Molecular Formula: H2S2O7; Molecular Mass: 178.06g/mol; Density: 1.935g/cm3; Boiling point: 130 °C; Reacts violently with water to form sulfuric acid; Colorless to off-white fuming liquid with a strong odor. It is equivalent to 106% sulfuric acid.
- Widely used for the production of surface-active agents.
- In the manufacture of organic sulfonates, detergents, and lubricants.
- In nitrating mixtures; as a dehydrating agent; as an SO3 source.
- In the secondary nitration of nitrobenzene.
- In the manufacture of many explosives.
- In the manufacture of nylon, dyes and hydrofluoric acid (HF) production